19 March 2005

Heat and bugs

It's hot here. Really hot. Very humid. I don't remember having ever spent such a long period of time feeling so hot and sticky. Wakayama is by the beach and so the humidity is high. I seem to spend most of my time pouring sweat (and that's not only in the gym.) I've never lived by the beach before and the heat in Mexico is very dry, even in the rainy season it doesn't feel this bad. Our house also seems to trap the heat, especially if I'm out during the day and so don't leave all the windows open. Then at night you can't leave the windows open because of all the mosquitoes. I've already got too many mossie bites and just couldn't cope with more and of course there's the noise. I just hate the buzzing they make, especially when I want to go to sleep. Nasty. Evil. Really really annoying. It's even worse when they're dying. I have this bug killer in the bedroom, you know the kind which emits some kind of smell that kills bugs. I normally turn it on an hour or so before I'm thinking of going to bed so by the time I do there are no bugs left. Anyway, a couple of nights ago I forgot to turn the damn thing on until I went to bed. So what happens? I'm just getting off to sleep when I here this horrendous noise - the death thralls of a mosquito. What a nightmare, worse than any noise I can imagine at the moment. Strike that - earthquakes make a horrible noise and that's scary too, but anyway, this mosquito was in the process of dying. So I turned on the light to see if I could put it out of it's misery but could I find it? Could I hell. In the end I went back to the living room for 20 mins and left it to die in peace.

Funny that I'm killing mosquitoes. I have no qualms about it either. I know I should do because they are fellow creatures on this earth but my vegetarian ideas (or ideals?) don't reach as far as not killing bugs. I generally only kill mosquitoes - I try to put everything else back outside or just ignore them, but mosquitoes drive me mad. Oh and cockroaches too - dirty, nasty things. Cockroaches must also die, no two ways about it. Is this really just killing for pleasure? Can I really justify killing? Probably not, then again, I can't justify my leather boots or belt or bag but I still have them. And I do eat eggs and cheese and drink milk so I'm not a vegan. That would be nice but I don't think it would be practical. I mean, living in Japan is hard enough for a vegetarian who doesn't eat fish or seafood. Eating out is a major nightmare. Half the time I worry that some kind of fish has been used to prepare the vegetable soup or whatever, but my limited Japanese can't cope with asking about that.

Originally written 23rd July 2004.

No comments:

About Me