19 March 2005

I really don't like typhoons

OK, so this is a pretty logical thing to say but this one is scary. I'm glad I'm not on my own! We are close to the eye now and are lucky it's not going to go right through us. The storm is a category 2 or 1 typhoon now, so that's lucky too. Even so...

The good thing was our landlady came round this evening to check we'd got the typhoon shutters down properly and she showed us why we'd only got half the shutter out and how to get it done. So we are now much better protected. The house is still shaking though and the windows rattling. It's been raining like mad since about 7 o'clock (it's now 11) so I guess we've got another 4 or 5 hours to go, according to the weather websites I've been keeping an eye on. It's quite a slow-moving storm. I really don't like it though. Funnily enough. The rain is just lashing down, no, not down, across! And the wind is howling, first at the front and then at the back, so the living room windows first bend one way then the other (even with the shutters done properly.) We have shutters on the big living room doors/windows and on the bedroom windows. Yuck. We had to bring in the washing machine and the bikes. So the washing machine is in the kitchen next to the shower room. My bike is in the kitchen and Rafa's is in the porch, which is slowly letting in water, under the doors, between the doors, over the doors, all around the doors! and through the letterbox!! But it's not coming in as much as last time, so that's good. I think compared to the last typhoon that hit (in June) this isn't raining as much (quite) but the wind is stronger and it's been stronger for quite a bit longer (and still to go on.) Right. I think that's all I've got to complain about, except there's another storm out in the Pacific that looks like it could head this way by the end of the weekend!! YUCK.

Up-date. We survived unscathed and the winds must have died down late in the night, early in the morning as they were still howling when I went to bed about 1.30. This morning it's nice and calm.

posted Monday, 30 August 2004

No comments:

About Me